Maithil and I got married 4 years ago, today. Happy Anniversary to my partner in crime, my cheerleader, my other (and often better) half, and my best friend! Our marriage is a constant work in progress which evolves as we endure the ups, downs, turns, and road bumps. Some of our main goals in the past four year and moving forward are:
- always tell each other the truth
- keep the lines of communication active and open
- try not to dump our frustrations on each other (key word: try)
- make uninterrupted 1-on-1 time for each other
In our four years as Mr. and Mrs., below are the 4 things we have learned about the other person:
Pooja about Maithil:
1. When he is upset or angry, it is best to leave him alone. He will come to me to talk about it on his own time. Forcing him to chat is never a good idea.
2. He is not a multi-tasker. He prefers to focus on one task at a time.
3. He is a logical, rational problem-solver. Present him with an issue and he will look to solve it. Not having a solution or a plan of action can make him uncomfortable.
4. He hates folding laundry! Although he had gotten much better at it over the years.
Maithil about Pooja:
1. When she is upset and wants to discuss a problem, for the majority of the time, she is not looking for a solution, she just needs me to listen. Learning when to respond or just listen has been a challenge I’m still trying to conquer.
2. She hates doing the dishes. Though she will clean them because a dirty sink is something she hates more, secretly she wants me to do them whenever I can.
3. Though this is a bit cliché, she does not have a very good sense of direction. She can never leave home without Google Maps!
4. She is extremely loyal and caring. As a friend, she will go out of her way when a friend is in need. As my wife, I never have to wonder if she still loves me as much as she loved me before getting married. As a mother, she exhausts herself mentally and physically to ensure that Rian is being raised in a way where he will be able to make most out of life. I couldn’t have found a more perfect match for me.