Today’s guest post is by the masterful, Boston-based Makeup Artist, Alexandra (Ali) Dale. I have now known her for about 15 years and it’s incredible to see how she had translated her passion into a career. Below, Ali provides a step-by-step on how to achieve an natural, everyday summer look. Enjoy!
I was so excited when my high school friend Pooja reached out to me about doing a guest blog post on a clean and effortless summer makeup look. I have a true a passion for making makeup fun and accessible to the everyday makeup user. For this simple summer look, I used long-wearing products that feel light and look natural on the face. It’s modeled after the “no-makeup makeup” looks that are used frequently in runway shows and beach photo shoots. It also requires only six products and two tools, making it ideal for vacations or the office! This complexion-focused look is also a great base to work off of when creating a more dramatic look for evening (by adding more eye makeup and a brighter lip color). Follow the steps and images to re-create this look.
- Stila Stay All Day® 10-In-One HD Illuminating Beauty Balm With Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Pro Bronze Fusion in 20M
- SEPHORA COLLECTION Smoothing & Brightening Concealer in #5 Radiant Peach
- Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil in Soft Brunette
- tarte Lights, Camera, Flashes™ Statement Mascara in Black
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Artist Plexi-Gloss in 301P
1. Apply a few small dabs of BB cream to fingertips. A BB cream is great for a lightweight summer foundation. It doesn’t give a lot of coverage, so some of your skin will show through, giving a more natural finish to the makeup. If you’d like more coverage just apply your powder foundation over your BB cream. Product used: Stila BB Cream which is both water resistant and has SPF 30.
2. With your fingertips, apply BB cream around the face avoiding the eye area. Start in the middle of the face and blend outwards. Don’t worry about it looking streaky, because we’ll perfect the skin later with a Beauty Blender.
3. Take a concealer and apply it 360 degrees around the eye (lid, brow bone and underneath the eye). Again, this will look streaky and that’s okay! Product used: Sephora Smoothing & Brightening Concealer which gives great coverage but has a lightweight texture, helping eliminate those dreaded creases around the eye area.
4. Take your slightly damp Beauty Blender sponge and press-and-roll the sponge around the face to smooth out the BB cream.
5. Next, move the Beauty Blender around the eyes to blend out any hard edges of the concealer.
6. Now it’s bronzer time! Using a medium-sized powder brush, dust the bronzer where the sun naturally hits you on the forehead and cheeks; be sure to also lightly apply some along the jawline to add some definition. You can apply some to the bridge of your nose as well to get a sun-kissed effect. Tip: To transition this look for evening, apply blush to the apples of your cheeks and a little highlighting powder to the top of the cheek bone. Product used: Make Up For Ever Bronzer which is a gel to powder formula that goes on smoothly, is waterproof, and gives a subtle warmth to the skin.
7. We will now move to the eyebrows. Using a retractable, angled brow pencil is easy and provides a subtle yet defined look which stays put all day. Use a short sketching motion to apply the pencil to your brow area. Use the spooly at the other end to pick up excess pigment and give the brows natural hair texture. Product used: Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil which has colors that match brow tones perfectly and lasts forever! I’ve been using mine for months and it still hasn’t run out. Great investment product.
8. & 9. The last two steps are super quick and simple: Throw on your mascara, making sure you add a lot of product to the root of the lashes, since we’re not using any eyeliner to define the eyes. Mascara will give definition to the eyes but keeps the look fresh and bright. Lastly, swipe on a lightweight gloss to give a hint of color and shine to the lips. Heavy lipsticks can be a bit much during the summer months and need to be touched-up frequently. Product used: Tarte Lights Camera Flashes Mascara which instantly separates and adds volume to lashes; Make Up For Ever Plexi Gloss Lip Gloss which wears well, feels light (not super sticky) and comes in every color imaginable. One of my favorite glosses out there.
Et voilà! Doesn’t Ali look gorgeous? Thanks Ali for these easy tips and tricks for this beautiful look. Can’t wait to try it!
To reach Ali:
Alexandra Dale, Makeup Artist
Facebook: Alexandra Makeup Artistry